10. Rex Brown: Smoke on This (eOne Music)
Nice effort from Mr. Rex Brown. It’s the second album on my list featuring a former member of Pantera, proving metal never gets old.
9. The Kahless Clone: Our Never-Ending Loneliness (Independent)
This instrumental side project from members of November’s Doom is gorgeously moody and well-executed.
8. Uncured: Medusa (Independent)
Uncured feature a couple of young, talented brothers in New Jersey. Medusa is a ball-burner from beginning to end.
7. Cavalera Conspiracy: Psychosis (Napalm Records)
Psychosis is a nice surprise from the Cavalera brothers and company. As always, it features nasty metal with South American brutality.
6. Beast In Black: Berserker (Nuclear Blast Entertainment)
My one big European symphonic metal band choice, but, Goddamn, this album is perfection.
5. Superjoint: Caught Up in the Gears of Application (Housecore Records)
Phil Anselmo and the gentlemen of Superjoint return to form on this release. Gears of crunchy metal goodness.
4. Jupiter Hollow: Odyssey (Independent)
There are a couple of talented, young guys out of Canada. Keep your eye on these boys.
3. Motorhead: Under Cover (Motorhead Music)
An album of Motorhead covers? Yes, please. May I have another?
2. Hogan’s Goat: Hogan’s Goat (Independent)
This is one of my faves of the year. Out of Nashville, Tennessee, prepare for the year of the Goat!
1. Bell Witch: Mirror Reaper (Profound Lore)
This one is showing up on almost every Top 10 list so far, and for good reason. It is a single piece of music that plays like a 50-minute portrait of aching beauty and riffs.
Et Cetera …
Heavy Metal MVP 0f 2017: Phillip H. Anselmo
Best New Band: Hogan’s Goat
Best Non-Metal Album: Gary Numan‘s Savage (Songs from a Broken World)
Guilty Pleasure Album of the Year: Dead Daisies‘ Live & Loud
Comeback of the Year: Nine Inch Nails
Live Show of the Year: Scour‘s first live performance at One Eye’d Jacks in New Orleans
Heavy Metal DVD/Blu-Ray of the Year: Rammstein‘s Paris
Tour of the Year: Guns ‘N Roses‘ “Not In This Lifetime” Tour
Heavy Metal Movie of the Year: Thor: Ragnarok
Biggest Suckage of the Year: US Politics and the Trump “presidency.”
And, a big HAPPY HOLIDAYS and HAVE A FUCKING METAL NEW YEAR IN 2018! And, thank you for reading.