As it turns out, GWAR frontman Dave “Oderus Urungus” Brockie passed away from an accidental heroin overdose. When Brockie was found dead by a roommate in March, still seated upright in a chair, many speculated that drugs played a role in his death. The rumors were sadly confirmed when the Virginia State Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed that Brockie died accidentally from acute heroin toxicity. The much-beloved frontman’s friends had commented to CBS 6 about his increasingly hard-partying behavior, but no further details were released.
News of Brockie’s death came only a few months after that of Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was found dead in his home with a heroin needle sticking out of his arm and whose death was attributed to “acute mixed drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine” despite appearing to have kicked his drug problem. The similarities between Brockie start and end at their immense talent and untimely self-destruction.
I think I speak for everyone at Hear Evil when I say that heroin is bullshit. If you find yourself on it, get off and stay off.